Welcome to the blog sharing the journey we are on of growing our family through adoption, as well as what life is like after the adoption has finalized.

There is a section where you can read some FAQs, check out the process we will be going through...as well as the blog posts filled with humor, joy, as well as probably some frustrations along the way!

Once again, welcome and let's enjoy the ride!!

______________________________________________

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Simplify...

Nick and I are always talking about and sometimes taking action toward simplifying our lives. We know it needs done but the action of it tends to more of a challenge. We find ways to downsize on our clothing, technology, furniture, and "things." We often find our selves then buying new stuff. Silly, unnecessary, and very American. With the addition of our two boys we've had no choice but to simplify and to remain more simple.

I just finished reading a book called Making the "terrible" twos Terrific! by John Rosemond. It's a book that was published back in the 90's but every word of it rang true and relevant to me now! Rosemond was talking about simplifying the toys our children have. He suggested not to own anything that was invented after 1955. I sort of laughed but continued reading about his reasons why. Then, this morning I took a large garbage bag and ran through the house throwing everything in it but the toys that forced my boys to think. They had a great morning with the few toys that remained and I was loving watching them find joy in cups, boxes, bags, stuffed animals, balls and books. I didn't throw it all out for good, I don't quite have the guts to do that yet. I am committing to keeping them in the garage for one week to see what happens. I'll let ya know how it goes!

By the way, for anyone that has children 18 months to 3 years old I highly recommend this book. Of all the books I've read about parenting toddlers, this one is my favorite. He covers all the important topics such as; potty training, sleep battles, misbehaving, sibling rivalries, child development, ect.

1 comment:

  1. I have several other friends who subscribe to that philosophy and love what it does for their little ones. One thing I love about waiting to have kids is I get to glean the wisdom of my friends who are going before me. Please keep us all posted! :)

    ReplyDelete