Welcome to the blog sharing the journey we are on of growing our family through adoption, as well as what life is like after the adoption has finalized.

There is a section where you can read some FAQs, check out the process we will be going through...as well as the blog posts filled with humor, joy, as well as probably some frustrations along the way!

Once again, welcome and let's enjoy the ride!!

______________________________________________

Monday, March 22, 2010

new disciplines

so, my routine was down...every morning, i'd spend plenty of time reading and in prayer right after my shower and before i headed off to work.  then, things changed...couldn't shower early because the risk of waking our boyz was too great...then, i couldn't get myself out of bed early enough because they were up at 6 and i wanted every second of sleep because i was exhausted...and my routine died a slow death while i watched helplessly wondering if all was lost...

...3 months later i finally make a call for help, i call in the reinforcements and i give a prof from seminary a call and say, 'help! what do i do?  do i really have to start getting up mad early to get everything in?'  he laughed, said welcome to parenthood, and began to share his journey...

'nick, you have to begin to take on new spiritual disciplines.  imagine seeing your time with your boys as time spent with God.  when you love them, and show them love, and care for them and parent them well...you are loving God by loving your neighbor.  someday you can pray, read scripture, talk with them about God...but for now, just being present with them, just your time with them can be a spiritual discipline.'

simple, yet profound...just imagine how the next few days of seeing my time with my boys as time with the Father changed my heart...imagine how much easier it was to see the face of Christ in the faces of my boys...

...i'm so glad they adopted me.
-nick

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!! And it's EXACTLY what I need to hear in this "busy" life I live - trying to balance it all and still attempt to have some "spiritual disciplines". Thanks, whoever your prof was, and thank YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mentor said much the same.

    And we have solidarity.

    If I said that I still didn't have feelings of guilt sometimes, I'd be lying. But as I continue to learn more and more about God from my children, it helps.

    ReplyDelete