Welcome to the blog sharing the journey we are on of growing our family through adoption, as well as what life is like after the adoption has finalized.

There is a section where you can read some FAQs, check out the process we will be going through...as well as the blog posts filled with humor, joy, as well as probably some frustrations along the way!

Once again, welcome and let's enjoy the ride!!

______________________________________________

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A bit of Easter gone astray...

Easter, what an amazing time of year. What an amazing time to really teach our children about who God is and what He's done for us. In the days leading up to Easter I knew that it was coming and was making plans with my parents. Nick and I talked about how Sunday service would go and all was in order, or so I thought.

Then, Saturday night at 9pm after both boys were finally sound asleep I realized we had completely forgotten to decide if we were doing baskets for the boys or if the Easter bunny exists in this house. Now, most families that form from birth with their children have at least one year while they are babies to figure these silly traditions. So, in a panic, not to ruin Easter for my almost 3 year old I ran to the store at 9:30 pm! When I got there I had to laugh, I walked over to the Easter section (or what was left of it) and there were about 10 other moms scouring the isles. I continued to wonder if this was even the right thing to do. I found a few items to fill a football shaped basket then checked out and headed home.

After filling the baskets we laid in bed and as Nick was trying to fall asleep I squeaked out, "do we talk about the Easter bunny in our family?" The final decision on Saturday night was that we could just say they got presents to celebrate the exciting news of Jesus resurrection and that for now they wouldn't even know there was such thing as this Hallmark created ball of fluff.

Easter came and we explained to the boys that they get gifts to celebrate that Jesus is alive, Dom had some comprehension of what we were saying but Eli of course was just going with the flow. By the end of the day I could say, "Dom why do you get presents today" and he would respond with giggly excitement "cus Jesus is awive mommy!"

In the end it was a great day and they had so much fun hunting eggs with Grammie and Grampie. We definitely forgot to get a family picture though...that was a bit frustrating cause these boys were so handsome!

All in all, Easter traditions are yet to be formed maybe next year I'll have some time to plan through each of these major holidays and what we want our boys to know and remember about them.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're handling these unexpected hurdles with a lot of grace and prayer! Thanks for letting all of us peek in on your journey. I know it will be a help when we start our own family. :)

    ReplyDelete